Friday, June 15, 2007

WEEK # 8 ONLINE APPLICATIONS AND TOOLS ACTIVITY 3 19 WEB 2.0 AWARDS

I really liked this site. I chose Books (guess that was hard to imagine) and went into Lulu.com. It is a self publishing site. This is wonderful for anyone who wants to publish but doesn't want to go through a large publishing house. There is also no restriction on number of copies. I like the option of publishing your dissertation. You can save it for all time. There are quite a lot of options from which you can choose from. It also has librarything.com which we looked at earlier in this learning process. I then checked out squidoo.com. I was not as impressed with this site. The lens eye featured an article on titanum rings. This site is for people who are passionate about an idea, invention, book, or hobby. I clicked on the link and it sent me to a site from Smyth's Jewelery store here in Baltimore and they talked about diamonds. There wasn't any mention about titanium rings???? I then checked out a link on medieval gardening. That was really cool! It had great pictures of the gardens as well as organic gardening and raised bed gardens. Very informative. Once again, it is useful, but it just depends on where and what information has been added to the site-it could be helpful or just another site that you didn't get the information you needed. For library use, I loved Lulu.com ( a self publishing site) and LibraryThing.com. Patrons could self publish or blog about books that they really like.

No comments: